Felix Road Adventure Playground. Bristol was one of the first places to use coal in industrial applications: soap manufacture; then glass making, brewing , pottery, etc. Easton Pit closed 1911.
Extension in year 2000.
Established over 100 years in Easton.
Est. by William Stone in mid 1800s.
Demolished in 1960s 'redevelopment'.
A reminder of our local mining past.
blitzed, 3/4 January 1941, 26 people killed.
A founder of the Labour Party. 1908 joined Social Democratic Party. 1910 helped establish National Transport Workers' Federation. Became the Union's leader. 1911 won national strike. Founder of Daily Herald. 1918 Tillett stood for Labour Party in North Salford. He retired as an MP, 1931.
Ex-jam factory, ex-Bailey Redman, stage scenery.
International Opera Star, 'The Lady Tenor'. Born Emma Jane Holden at 7 Brooklyn Terrace, (114, Easton Road). House demolished ca. 1965.
Bristol & District Co-op founded in house of John Hall, 6 February 1884.
Ex-malthouse, local Pennant stone, 1804-30.
Built 1877. Bannerman Road was once known as St Mark's Lane. The school is undergoing massive rebuilding during 2000-1.
Built in 1901 to a design by George Oatley. The Church has produced a book to celebrate its Centenary.
Ex-Bloy Street Mission, (1896), and, 1900-30, Chelsea Road Gospel. 1938, ex-leather factory. Rebuilt by Sikh Community in 1991-94.
Built in 1870s. Bristol's longest, straightest street? Ex-Cherry Orchard when our area was Market Gardens. Don't miss the new sculpture in the street's central square.
Opened by the People of Easton in 1990. Won the Architectural Prize; 'Gulbenkian Award for Community Buildings', 1990-91.
Once part of the 'Dramway', 1830s. Site of Bristol to Gloucester Railway (1844), closed 1970.
Translation & Advice Service.
Ex-Sweet Factory ca. 1880 - 1900s on the corner of Britannia Rd. Britannia Road formally named Berlin Road, changed 1918.
Ex-Hosiery Factory/Warehouse, built 1897, 'Arts & Crafts' Style. 1970s, storage for Rolls-Royce Aerospace. Friday 21st July 1989, gutted by fire. Opened as a Gym, 1991.
Ex-Wallis Rd. 1873, Roman Coin Hoard found. This area was known as Frogmarsh.
Designed by Bristol architect Charles Dyer, carried out by Samuel Burleigh Gabriel, 1848. Built as copy of 11thC. Rhineland Church, 'Romanesque' Style. 1989-90, housing scheme for Single People.
Tollhouse and Garden, 1839, adjacent to St. Mark's Church.
Demolished 1995, large Building, (1600?). Enlarged pre-1884. 1900, bought by WG Grace, used as YMCA. 1924, Perkins Engineering. 1995-96, Housing.
National Day School, (1855). Run by St. Mark's Church. St. Mark's Day School, enlarged, 1888, and used as Church Hall. Also Sunday School Hall. Now hosts Masjid (Mosque)
Clothing Factory, (1903), Pearson, Huggins, Clothing Contractors (1908). Parnall Ltd, (WW1). Aircraft Production and Territorial Army base. 1970s - present, used for light Industry. Home for Artistic groups, eg., P.A.C.T.S.
Restored to 19th Century appearance. Listed Grade II. F. W. Hunt, Bottlers, (1902-10). First HQ, Bristol Rovers F.C.
Formally spelt 'Froom'. Prone to flooding, known locally as the'Danny'. Pre- 1968 was open to St Jude's. Was leisure amenity for many people; riverside walks and fishing, etc. Confluence with Coombe Brook, as east boundary of the Black Swan Hotel, and the Bristol & Gloucestershire boundary, until 1896-9.
Three-storey Tower, may have marked the North Entrance to Easton Manor House. 18thC, listed Grade II. Grey Pennant stone, with Limestone dressings. Restored, (1980s).
Imposing three-storey building, (1700). Close to River Frome. Connection with local GP & international cricketer W. G. Grace (1848-1915).
One of several old Easton inns, which had tennis courts, dancing greens, arbours, and other attractions. Site of celebrations of Wellington's victory, (1813). Its gardens (sold for building, 1837), with bowling greens, summer houses, and walks, trees and shrubs, was renamed Wellington Gardens.
One of pair, forming Blackbird Gate to Bristol from the East.
Built below ground, on south-west corner of Street.
In front garden. Listed, 'protected tree'.
1702 -19th C. site of first commercially successful Brass Works in Britain, financed by Quakers using money from slave trade. (Works Manager: Abraham Darby I). Pottery, (1839 - 1880s), Joseph and James White. Redeveloped, (1970), now Junction 3, M32/Easton Way.
The Mill Youth Club. John lived from 1926-1989, community activist, the inspiration for the John Lynch Afrikan Education Programme in 1991.
3-storey basemented Victoria villa with Mansard Roof, (Pre-1884). Served as base for the new, exciting changes lead by Easton Renewal Team, 1991-2001, (Bristol City Council).
Opened 1956. Commemorates the life and work of Alderman Charlotte Keele, member of Bristol City Council, 1935-1955.
1828, part of the Bristol / Gloucestershire Boundary, (Lebeck Gate). Boundary moved East after the Act of 1896-9. Site of inquests into deaths at Easton Pits.
Created 1960s for Rawnsley House Tower Block, (1963-64), playground, ca. 1994 Prior to 1960 was a maze of streets fronted on Stapleton Road by three large villas.
Opened pre-1882 Closed by 1908, Timbermine. By 1912, a timberyard in use until ca. 1960s.
Built and established during the period 1774 -1820. The Armoury from which the Square takes it's name was the base for Militia regiments as well as Bristol's own Arsenal. It's outline plan is partly preserved by the early to mid Victorian Square, but little is known of it's original appearance. Ashmead's Bristol Map of 1828 suggests it to be a large and long Barrack Block, centrally placed, with symmetrically planned ancillary buildings. By ca. 1855 it becomes Armoury Place. In 1887 Colston Villas was built. Rebuilt in 1976 it was soon noticed that the building at the North end of the Square had an early 18th century bust of Edward Colston, Bristol slave trader. It was replaced by a replica and the original placed within Bristol City Museum. In 1881, Mr Packer, who was an ex-employee of Frys, founded his company at 46 Armoury Square. Originally employed three people who were each paid 2/6d (12.5p) a week. Packer's is now LEAF UK, Greenbank.
Centre opened ca. 1990. In North car park site of No. 59 Stapleton Road, ex-Thrissell Lodge, shared surgery of Dr. W. G. Grace, M.R.C.S., L.R.C., who dominated World Class Cricket, ca.1870-1915. Moving to next door, Thrissell House, W. G. Grace and wife, Agnus, remained until ca. 1896. Nos. 57 and 61 Stapleton Rd. demolished after 1972.
Named after Edward Thrissell. 19thC. rope-maker. Henry Brecknell & Son and then Brecknell, Munro and Rogers Ltd. (1904). Thrissell Engineering became part of Masson Scott Thrissell. 1826-46, 70 houses built.
Bristol's first Free Library, 1876 & 1896. opened by Mayor November 6th, 1896. Cost, about £5,000.
1829-31 by Rickman & Hutchinson. Now New Trinity Centre, (1991), venue for Rock concerts etc. Interior subdivided.
(1828). One of the original gates to the City of Bristol.
Built 1790s with 70 cells. Prisoners released during 1831 'riot'. Disused, 1860. Demolished, 1907. Court Room, Petty Sessional Court used until 1900s.
BOING company used these premises until 2000.
Built, partly on the site of England's first Workhouse.
Go on to the Frome Valley Walkway at Wade St.